Increase Home Dialysis Utilization Rate
CMS recognizes that home dialysis modalities are underutilized in the United States with only 8% dialyzing in a home setting vs 92% choosing in-center. The ESRD Conditions for Coverage require that the patient records must demonstrate that each patient was informed about all available dialysis modalities. This page has been designed to benefit any dialysis provider, or patient, looking for information on home modalities. The information here will be helpful to dialysis staff, patients, and family who are interested in learning more about dialyzing at home as we assist them in the journey through the Seven Steps to Home
Seven Steps to Home
- Patient interest in home dialysis
- Educational session to determine the patient’s preference of home modality
- Patient suitability for home modality determined by a nephrologist with expertise in home dialysis therapy
- Assessment for appropriate access placement
- Placement of appropriate access
- Patient accepted for home modality training
- Patient begins home modality training
If your facility is in the Home QIA Project, please log in to Providers.Exchange (P.E) for project specific resources, reporting links, data and summary reports.
Providers.Exchange, or P.E., is Qsource – Heartland Kidney Network’s facility portal. All Quality Improvement Activity (QIA) resources and facility specific monthly reports are loaded there. Your facility’s Medicare CCN is the log in ID, and you can obtain the password from your clinic manager.
If you have problems logging in, please contact Qsource – Heartland Kidney Network at 816-880-9990 for assistance.